Can This Really be Spring?

by Susan on April 6, 2014

It’s been a brutal winter in Michigan. We had record cold and record snowfall. Some of those cold days made me worry about my boxwood which were “thankfully” covered under layers of insulating snow.

This weekend, I am finally seeing signs of this most welcome Springtime in my garden. Here’s a few pictures I snapped with my iPhone of the early April garden.

Libertiny-garden-April-2014-1-1000px There is nothing that can match the welcome site of purple crocus in Springtime.

View across the garden in early April 2014Thankfully, the boxwood made it through the winter relatively unharmed thanks to layers of insulating snow.

View across the garden in early April 2014

View across the garden in early April 2014

View across the garden in early April 2014

View across the garden in early April 2014

Rhododendrom winter damgeHere is a photo of one of my poor Rhododendron. I fear all but one plant will have to be replaced this season.

Snowdrops in SpringtimeSnowdrops are some seriously hardly bulbs. These babies bloom no matter what the weather conditions.

Collection of rocks from shore of Lake Huron

My little collection of pebbles gathered on the shore of Lake Huron. I love arranging these little stones on my patio table.

I’m looking forward to spending many long hours in the garden this season. Welcome back Spring!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Mindy April 8, 2014 at 11:34 am

I think your yard is beautiful, even in the winter. I love how structured it is, with all the boxwood hedges.
I don’t have a single snowdrop. One of our neighbors practically has a field of them in their front yard. I’m tempted to go down with a fork and dig some up when no one is looking. :)

Susan April 9, 2014 at 11:53 am

Hi Mindy!
Thanks for the compliments. I am totally psyched to get out there this season.
Susan

sharkbytes April 7, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I am trying to reclaim part of my garden. Yours looks 100 times better.

Susan April 9, 2014 at 11:54 am

The first look at the garden once the snow thaws is always a bit “shocking”. Luckily, we have a whole season to get it into shape again!
Susan

Marian Brady April 6, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Love your garden! We still have 2 feet of snow in most of our yard. We cannot wait for spring to come! Your photos give me hope:)

Susan April 7, 2014 at 11:06 am

Oh my goodness Marian! It’s crazy how much snow you guys got this season. I imagine you are going to be thrilled to see the daffodils.
Susie

Tone on Tone April 6, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Indeed, welcome, spring!!! I’m so happy for the return of crocuses, snowdrops and daffies :) Your purple ones are so cheerful! Here’s to a glorious season ahead, Susan. Happy digging – Loi

Susan April 7, 2014 at 11:06 am

Happy digging Loi! You know I’ve been going crazy with this endless winter. Your garden looks amazing in Southing Living btw! Gorgeous!
Susan