Longwood’s Amazing Bonsai

by Susan on October 5, 2013

The art of bonsai amazes me. It takes an incredible amount of patience and care. Many bonsai specimens take decades to train. The intent is to see no sign of the artist. The proportions should mimic nature.

Longwood gardens has an awesome collection of bonsai in their conservatory. Here are some photographs of some of my favorites.

Longwood garden bonsai

Crape Myrtle started in 1993. This bonsai has a beautifully shaped trunk.

dwarf-japanese-garden-juniper-bonsai

A dwarf Japanese garden juniper started in 1966. This specimen is an excellent example of asymmetrical design.

chinese-elm-bonsai

A Chinese elm that started its training in 1929. Imagine the things that have happened during the life span of this little tree.

japanese-zelkova-bonsai

A Japanese zelkova started in 1909. This little tree is 104 years old. Imagine the care and attention required to ensure its survival.

pomegranate-bonsai

A pomegranate that started its training in the 1960s.

bald-cypress-bonsai

A bald-cypress that started training in 1988. I adore this tiny tree with its soft, fine needles.

azalea-bonsai

This azalea is gorgeous. It didn’t have a date listed when its training began. This is another great example of asymmetrical design.

trident-maple-bonsai

My favorite part of this Trident maple bonsai is the rock and ferns scattered in the container.

japanese-black-pine-bonsai

This Japanese black pine is gorgeous. Its training started in 1975.

loose-flower-hornbeam-bonsai

This miniature grove of loose-flower hornbeam is my favorite Longwood bonsai. The container is simply magnificent.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Nicole February 21, 2014 at 10:44 am

I’m guessing they did not have there wisteria bonsai out due to it being out of season but they due have one when I went in spring of 2010

Susan February 23, 2014 at 9:17 am

I didn’t see a wisteria bonsai, but I bet that is something to see when it blooms. That sounds like another reason to go back an visit.
Susan

sharkbytes October 7, 2013 at 9:55 am

I suspect I wouldn’t be very good at this, but I love looking at them.

Susan October 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm

You make me giggle!!
Susan

Loi Thai - Tone on Tone October 6, 2013 at 5:17 pm

They are very special, Susan. You know I love my myrtle topiaries, and I have thought about adding bonsais. That 1909 Japanese Zelkova is incredible. It’s been lovingly tended to for over a century.
xo
Loi

Susan October 9, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Isn’t that Japanese Zelkova amazing Loi? I can definitely see bonsais in your beautiful conservatory.
Susan xxoo

Mindy October 6, 2013 at 10:22 am

Aren’t they amazing? I have tons of little trees in pots, mainly because I don’t have the property to plant them on and I just love trees. But I’ve never been good at visualizing where to prune them to turn them into beauties like these examples. Generally they just get “haircuts” to keep them under control. I have a bald cypress, though, that I think I’ll attempt to make look like the one above. He’s my favorite in these pictures. So dang cute.

Susan October 6, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I couldn’t agree more. They really are cute little trees. I just can’t get over how much love and attention would be required to care for small trees like this…especially the ones from the early 1900s. Pretty cool!
Susan